Saturday, March 9, 2013

THE RED HORSE

The Red Horse as it has come to be referred to by friends and gallery owners alike, has become a work that was birthed in pain and excitement (eventual excitement)

There are variations of size of this and some I put on wood blocks that can big hung in more intimate spaces or perhaps someday my friend the hairdresser in Hays, KS will be 'allowed' to hang a 5"x8" block at her station- odd how the most causal of places can sometime just make it more difficult than it has to be. Irony of matching Decor is that this work would be a huge bonus hanging in the black walled salon.... but I digress.....

 The Horse started out as an ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPH on Black and White Film and printed on 11x14 glossy paper. The surface was then applied with oil paints, making all the background disappear and transforming a WHITE HORSE into a RED one.

There are embossing labels at top and bottom giving it a sub-text title that is obscured by the covering of paint. Whereas in other styles of my work these words and sub titles or actual titles... of some literary value and enigma would be highlighted in contrasting color and draw your attention: This one says "Portable:Dedication" fairly innocuous pair of words by themselves: I will leave the meaning; if there is one, to you.

SO- this work and a singular other horse, done in similar fashion exist as described above.
The originals are not for sale- but the custom made hand pulled prints I make are.
I use Epson Ultra Chrome Inks and Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl paper.

The surface of the paper is coated with a micro ceramic layer which the pigment is embedded into. This allows for Long Life (100 Yrs est.) and the details of the scanned image to rise up a bit and the scumbled 'scratch' marks I have drawn across the wet paint are visible as are the shades of color in background that seem dense and opaque with little variance actually contain many colors; although less important that what flies out at you: The Horse herself. Her legs trail off toward the field where she stood and her neck and head become the iconic image people seem to care for.

The larger the image the more impact it seems to command: my prints are maxed out on 13"x19" paper and image is short of that with a boarder. I had checked into professional printed larger sized ones but have no means to do it for myself: at 24x36 size would be amazing in a larger space, but calculate that by square foot pricing....


This Images was in at least one juried show and sold there before even judged, but it did make it into show, it seemed a good time to make use of promotions at that time but ironically the arts center it hung imposed a special rule just for me that I could NOT place a few smaller sleeved prints in the gift gallery for sale...found that very interesting, but if you read above RANT things in art world bring into focus not all things are fair even when apparently favorable.
I was told by a patron of that gallery that the morning after opening night a man came in a requested to buy a copy.....funny I never got a call that day or ever..... would have liked to sell that man a copy - IF the merchandise is not there the gallery can't sell it- and they did not make a 33 1/3% commission either - so i say fuck it; but i anguished over this situation: DOUBLE STANDARD HorseShit for quite a long while... You have no idea and it all defied logic.

perhaps this is too personal and naming names by Not naming names -

My spirit was pounded down by a number of people and events and it is just time to air out the work, they have sat in a box for just over a year now- while my physical health has declined and economics of the world have gotten worse.

SO PARDON ME if I get political and revealing along the way: Betrayal and Loss have a way of corrupting ones soul - STEALING THE LIGHT! until all you wish for is it to go away.


IF You find this and wish to get an estimate or purchase a print you may find my ETSY Store here: http://www.etsy.com/people/PhotographicAnomaly

I HOPE to have some works posted on that store fairly soon.

Also If You are new to Etsy to contact me via the store all you need to do is create and acct as a buyer, i do not think you need to provide payment info until or if you like www.Etsy.com itself; I am not sure of new rules but that is what you must do to contact my shop there.


THIS WORK IS DONE BY WOMAN ARTIST IN KANSAS of a KANSAN HORSE.....

No comments:

Post a Comment